Sexual symptoms/diagnoses in women:
- Dysparunia: Pain with initial penetration, deep penetration, thrusting. May be due to lack of lubrication, superficial vaginal scarring, vaginal adhesions, skin irritation, or levator ani muscle tenderness.
- Levator Ani Syndrome: pain, pressure, or ache in the vagina, sacrum, coccyx, and/or rectum caused by abnormal tension in the levator ani muscles.
- Vulvodynia: Vulvar discomfort characterized by burning, irritation, rawness, and inability to have penetration without pain.
- Vaginismus: Inability to penetrate the vagina to due muscle spasm
- Pubic Bone Pain
Sexual symptoms/diagnoses in men:
- Inability to achieve or maintain an erection
- Pain with ejaculation
Physical Therapy treatments include:
- Manual therapy to pelvic floor muscles, hip, abdominal, low back muscle
- Internal manual therapy if needed
- Trigger point release
- Relaxation exercises
- Strengthening exercises
- Bladder retraining
- Dilator training
- Coordination with OB/GYN and/or other health professionals